Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 130 - Floppy Disks

The times, they are a changin'... as Bob Dylan sang. Technology marches on and old floppy disks have been replaced by CDs and flash drives. I no longer own a computer with a floppy drive, rendering all my 1.44 MB 3.5 inch floppies useless. I have no idea what information may be on them, so I hesitate to donate them or even toss them in the trash. I found a company that has a recycling program for floppies which has been extended until December 31, 2011. They will reformat the diskettes so no need to erase the data. You can find this info at floppydisk.com.

 


Even so, I am a little leery of doing this. I chose the alternative method. About a dozen of them were dismantled, cut up, and discarded. I have many many more, so you may see more of this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment